Friday, October 17, 2008

This And That

condensed from Andrew Smith TECHNOLOY Blog
Economists who track wages would argue stagnant wages by pointing out that people today must work roughly as long as they did 10 years ago to buy a car or television or computer. And those who by their health care directly must certainly work longer.
But that argument is specious. We're not really buying the same things.
Televisions and computers have improved so much over the past decade that their predecessors now look like tools that cavemen used.
Cars haven't improved as dramatically, but they're solidly better in every way. They're quicker, quieter, more comfortable and far safer. Most of them are also more efficient and they all and it way less pollution.

And it's not just big-ticket items or obviously high-tech items.
My shirts don't need as much ironingas their predecessors. The local movie theater now has stadium seating. My bank lets me manage my account without ever driving to a branch.
Life is better.



God love you Joe. Bless your heart Joe. You, and people like you, are what makes the country work. You make the country great.
But I think what I should say now is "God help you Joe." Look, 16 plus years ago I was where you are now. And I must tell you if Obama wins, I am pulling the plug in a few months. I am out. I have had it. I am preparing to destroy almost 100 jobs and lower my tax bracket and I can't wait.
Consider: 16 years ago I was statistically in poverty, but I had dreams and a plan. At the time, the remnants of Reaganomics still set the economic tone and a fired up Newt Gingrich was forcing conservatism on the Clinton White House every time Bill and Hillary tried to move left. There were actually politicians who praised business owners and business in general. Against that backdrop, I've had a pretty good run. It's been extremely challenging and the move up was not a straight line, but I am better off than I was 16 years ago. And 8 years ago. And 4 years ago. And so are a lot of folks who have been on this ride with me.
But Joe, I am not better off than I was just 2 years ago.

And sadly, this is the result of George Bush [ ] helped ironically by John McCain "reaching across the aisle" to vote against tax cuts and vote for energy restrictions and so on. All of this was nicely summed up by Mitt Romney when he said that our problems stem from "too many Republicans acting too much like Democrats." Now, if the polls are anywhere near accurate, we are going to get a taste of "real Democrats acting too much like Marxists" for at least a few years.
Now Joe, as someone whose been there, let me tell you how this works, though I think you have a good idea. At the end of the year, as an LLC, I do file taxes with the business profit on my personal returns like many of others do as well. And yes, that figure is much bigger than 250 thousand. But that's not really MY MONEY to keep. It's how I underpin my business. When customers disappear or take their time paying bills, I still have to pay my employees, rent, suppliers, and countless other expenses. Every penny that the tax man takes out of that profit is less money that I have to carry forward to stay in business for the next year. And if Obama and Reid and Pelosi take more of this by "raising taxes on the rich" then of course my business will suffer. And so will all the employees.
But of course, you will have to send tax money into the government, Joe, because the man who is in charge of spending that money -- Charlie Rangel -- damned sure wasn't paying his fair share as we know now. Get out that checkbook.
I wish you well, guy. You might just have the genius and persistence to pull this off. I really do hope so. As for me, I have had enough. I have fought creeping liberalism and managed more wins than losses over 17 years. We have progressed to where our business, now a corporation, is big enough so that Obama and his ilk now have their own ideas about "what larger businesses can afford" and what "corporations can afford."
Well I've got news for him. I cannot afford what they think I can afford, so I am breaking her up and giving her away to some key employees.

Attacking reproductive rights

click title for original "Center for Inquiry" article

Recent legislation in Oklahoma would prohibit a woman from getting an abortion unless she first has an ultrasound and hears a doctor explain in detail the fetus depicted in the ultrasound. This is clearly an attempt to delay abortion and increase the difficulty of obtaining it early in a pregnancy. The Center for Reproductive Rights has filed a lawsuit challenging the Oklahoma law, Nova Health Systems v Brad Henry.


mailto:freeassemblage@gmail.com

http://freeassemblage.blogspot.com/


The Free Assemblage of Metaphysical Naturalists is the SM of
The Free Assemblage of Metaphysical Naturalists LLC.
The Academy of Metaphysical Naturalism TM,
The Academy of Metaphysical Naturalism Blogger TM, and
Academy of Metaphysical Naturalism Blogger Extra TM are the educational arms of the LLC and are:
© 2008 by Curtis Edward Clark and Naturalist Academy Publishing ®



blog comments powered by Disqus